Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bun Run 10K Race Report

Well, this morning was my 2nd official organized 10K event, the Schlotzsky’s 31st annual Bun Run.  This race isn’t anywhere near as big and popular as the Capital 10K that I ran a few weeks ago, so I was able to find free parking.  After I parked, I started getting my stuff together and ready to go.  I reached into my purse to pull out my earbuds only to find that I hadn’t put them in there.  They were sitting on my side table next to the couch.  Ugh.  Great.  Now I had to run without music.  How boring is that going to be?
I ate my Clif Bar and pinned my bib on, then stashed my car key in my sports bra (I really need to buy a SpiBelt or similar).  At 7 o’clock the air horn sounded and we were off.  Again, it wasn’t like the Capital 10K that took me 11 minutes to get to the start lineI was there before I know it, hitting start on my Garmin.  It was odd running without music.  I listened to people around me chatting with each other for the first mile before the conversations dropped off as everyone hit their pace.  I discovered that listening to the hundreds of footfalls around me was oddly relaxing and worked to help me “zone out” like listening to music does.  As we neared the turnaround for the 5K distance, there was music.  I thought they just had some speakers set up, but no, it was an actual band playing music.  That was pretty cool.

After the turnaround for the 10K distance, at mile 4.5, there was an autistic guy walking toward us and calling out our numbers as we passed him and telling us “good run!”  That was really sweet of him, and excellent of him family to get him out and active and social like that!  Put a big smile on my face.  

As you can see, in mile 5 I hit my “groove” and got my fastest mile time for the whole 6.3 miles.  It felt really good.

As I crossed the finish line, the announcer was reading out people’s bib numbers and then pulling up their names on his laptop and calling out their names.  Well, I was one of the lucky ones to get a shout out as I crossed the finish line!  Woohoo!  I crossed the finish line and, of course, forgot to immediately hit stop on my Garmin, but it wasn’t too far after that I remembered to hit it.  My final time, according to my Garmin, was 1:02:48.  That’s 4 minutes faster than I ran the Capital 10K!  hooray!

I made my way to the post-race expo area and got my free half banana and package of peanut butter crackers.  Yum!  Then I picked up a free water bottle (pink, of course!).  The lady I used to get acupuncture from was there with a booth for free Chinese pulse readings (I had run into her before the race and talked to her briefly).  Right next to her was free 5 minute massages for the runners.  So, I snagged a free leg massage.  Felt really good.  It was a little tender when she massaged my IT band area on my right thigh.  I’m thinking that I really need to make time to roll my legs after I run.  I need to make sure I hit the IT band when I do that too.  I do NOT want an IT band injury.  Or any other injury, really.
An ending note I want to make is that, much to my surprise, running without music wasn’t as horrible as I thought it would be.  It wasn’t horrible at all, actually.  While it’s not something I’m going to do on purpose in the future, I definitely won’t freak out if I forget my earbuds again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews