Friday, February 28, 2014

To Make Up or Not To Make Up

I’m going to start this post with a bit of a lament.  There are times, more frequent recently than in the past, that I wish I had a regular job with regular hours and that I didn’t work 16 hour shifts 1-3 days a week.  Why do I wish this?  For a couple reasons.  For starters, I could have an actual social life and have more regular friends.  Secondly, I could have a more regular workout schedule.  It seems I prefer to workout in the late afternoon or evening.  It’s easier for me to motivate myself to workout if I do it at the end of my day.  Thirdly, I could find running groups that ran during times that I was actually not at work and run with them multiple times during the week if I wanted to.  Right now, if I joined a running group, I could run with them probably on Saturday and/or Sunday…but definitely not during the week…unless of course I want to wake up at 5am after going to bed around midnight (since I get off work at 10pm).  Fourthly, I might be able to find the time to make it to the gym once or twice a week for strength training workouts.  Heck, I might even be able to find a workout buddy to workout with!

Okay, lament/bitch-session over.  Moving on.

Tuesday, I had planned a 3 mile run.  However, that did not happen.  Why?  Allergies.  I felt like poo.  (another reason to workout later in the day…my nasal and chest congestion seems to work its way out of my system by that time of day and then I don’t feel like poo anymore)  So, I slept in.  I regretted it.  Especially when I did crawl out of bed and it was foggy and cool out.  Ugh.  Perfect for a run.  Especially a short, quick one.  I almost talked myself into squeezing one in anyway and just leaving like 15 minutes late for work (which still would have put me arriving early for work as I arrive almost 45 minutes early for work as is my habit).  Part of me really wishes I had done that, but I did still feel like poo as the congestion hadn’t worked its way out of me yet.  Anyway, as the day went on, I actually started having a cough and it was a somewhat productive cough, producing some phlegm.  Gross. 

When I flushed my sinuses Wednesday before work, brown stuff came out.  Ugh.  That means one thing…sinus infection.  As the day wore on, it became more and more apparent that what I had going on was indeed a sinus infection.  I again worked a double Wednesday and I desperately felt the need to flush my sinuses again, but I was working a double shift and my sinus rinse stuff was at home.  There is only 1 grocery store that would possibly sell sinus rinsing bottles and saline packets that I could drive to and from during my break time: Whole Foods.  So, to Whole Foods I went.  The nasal rinse system they had, at Walmart or the local chain grocery store would have been $10…maybe $15…at Whole Foods?  $20.  Ugh.  But, I needed it and now I have one to keep with my work stuff. 

I worked a double shift on Tuesday AND Wednesday night, so I didn’t get any workout in either day before work.  My plan for today had been to wake up early…8am…and go out for a 4.5 mile run.  I had to do a little back and forth with myself over the distance because when I was thinking about my run for today, I remember that not only was today Friday and a run day, but also the end of the month of February…and when I skipped my Tuesday run, that left me with a 3 mile deficit for the month.  Well, as I’ve discussed since I got myself out on the pavement again, I’m no longer in the business of “making up miles.”  It either gets done or it doesn’t and I move on.  I started to tell myself to get out and run 5 or 6 miles, but then I thought better of it, remembered my promise to myself to not try to play the make-up game with my miles and settled on 4.5 miles as somewhat of a happy medium.  Well, as yesterday progressed and I realized that I was going to feel pretty crappy first thing this morning until I got my lungs and such all cleared out through hacking up a lung or two, I settled on doing that 4.5 miles on the treadmill after work last night.  Let me tell you, it was horrible.  I didn’t do it right.  I started off great with a 1.5% incline, but halfway through I dropped it to just a 1% incline.  At about 1.5 miles in, the strong urge to grab the handles was given into and I alternated hands holding the handles.  Ugh.  It just felt so hard.  And I had never run more than 3.3 miles on the treadmill before, so it felt really long too.  In the end, I ran 4.5 miles in 49:06, for an average pace of 10:55 per mile.  Since I didn’t wear my Garmin and manually log the miles, I went to Runner’s World’s website and used their pace calculator

Tuesday, my knee started hurting.  I was just leisurely walking around my work station and my knee popped.  Nothing dramatic or loud or anything like that, just a soft pop.  Then, it started hurting.  It popped again a little later and then started to get stiff.  I’m not sure what was going on with my knee, but I’m glad that there was 2 days after the popping and pain and stiffness that occurred where I had no time to run or do other exercise.  As the past couple of days went by, my knee felt better, but was still a smidgen stiff and would still occasionally pop, but the actual pain I felt the first day never came back.  Whew. 

Speaking of exercise…it’s been a couple weeks since I posted my projected workout plan for the following week, so allow me to do that for next week since it’s my first week without a trainer workout in like 3 months. 

• Sunday – lunch with friends & dinner with another friend…I’m hoping to squeeze in at least a 5 (preferably 7) mile run in between the two meetups
• Monday – dentist appt at 9, then work in the afternoon (my usual day off, but working overtime)…so, hoping to have enough time to hit the gym between dentist and work...upper body + abs
• Tuesday – run, work a double shift
• Wednesday – rest
• Thursday – run
• Friday – gym (lower body + abs), work a double shift
• Saturday – rest

Another thing I need to get a handle on is my eating.  The only way to describe my eating is out of control.  On my days off, I’m eating fast food once or twice day.  During the work week, I’m eating fast food once or twice.  Plus, I’m eating TOO MUCH on work days whether I’m eating fast food or not.  If I just absolutely MUST eat out, I really should be choosing healthier options.  For instance, Dairy Queen has a grilled chicken salad that is great and not super high in calories.  It comes with two 4 tbsp cups of light ranch dressing, but I only use one of them and then stash the second one in my fridge for use with a homemade salad.  Now, I know that an actual serving of a cream style salad dressing is only 2 tbsp, but with the size of the salad, it’s hardly enough to only use 2 tbsp.  And I’m also fully aware that it doubles the amount of calories I’m consuming from the dressing…and I’m alright with that.  BUT, I need to control my eating.  I want to do the Shred Diet for a couple to maybe 3 weeks soon again.  I know I need to keep it to no more than 3 weeks as that is when I start to get a little “stopped up” which leads to “weight gain” because I’m not going to the bathroom, which leads to me getting frustrated at my emotionally perceived failure which then leads to me feeling vulnerable and then overeating.  A vicious cycle.

Maybe you’ve noticed, maybe you haven’t, but I started up a Facebook page for my blog!  This is exciting!  I had gone back and forth about it for the last few weeks and finally, the other day I decided to do it.  So, at the top of the left column on my blog, just under the “subscribe by email” is the “like me on Facebook” badge.  YAY!  If you have a Facebook account and either don’t want to subscribe by email or want to get notification of me posting a blog sooner than you do through email subscription, click the “like” button and follow the page on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews