Today is Sunday, and if you've been paying attention the last few weeks, then you know what that means...it's meal prep day! This is in no way an original idea, LOADS of other people do their meal prep on Sunday. It's very convenient for me. I'm off on Saturdays and Sundays and most of what I do outside of my home with other people happens on Saturdays, so Sundays are all mine to do chores and whatever needs to be done. Anyway, every week I try to prep at least 2 different dishes that yield at least 4 servings each. This week, I chose Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplants and Mexican Corn Soup. Each recipe makes 4 servings. I had planned to prep some whole wheat pizza dough, but since I worked overtime on the night shift last night, I slept half the day away and didn't have time with all the housework that also needed to get done today. But that's okay, I'll make it next weekend.
• 2 eggplants
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 shallot
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 roasted bell peppers, chopped
• 1 tomato, diced
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• 1 tsp dried basil
• salt and pepper to taste
• 4 oz low fat mozzarella cheese
• cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving the skins intact
• chop the flesh into small pieces
• heat the oil in a skillet and stir in the shallot and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes then add the chopped eggplants
• cook 5 additional minutes then remove from heat and stir in the bell peppers, tomato, parsley and basil
• season with salt and pepper then spoon the mixture into the eggplant skins
• top with mozzarella cheese and place the eggplant halves in a baking tray lined with parchment paper
• bake in the preheated oven at 350° for 20-30 minutes
• serve warm or chilled
For my friends and readers that eat a vegan or vegetarian diet, this recipe is vegan and I think you should give it a try!
Mexican Corn Soup
• 4 cups frozen corn
• 1 cup chicken broth
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1/2 of a 4 oz can of diced green chile peppers
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 2 cloves garlic (minced)
• 2 cups unsweetened original almond milk
• 1 cup chopped cooked chicken (boneless/skinless)
• 1 cup chopped tomato
• 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz)
• in a blender or food processor combine 2 cups of frozen corn (half of corn) and all the chicken broth. cover and blend until smooth.
• in a large saucepan combine corn/broth puree, the remaining corn, chile peppers, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic. bring to boiling; reduce heat. simmer very gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. add chicken, milk and tomatoes and simmer very gently for another 10 minutes.
• removed saucepan from heat. stir in cheese (small amounts at a time) until completely melted. if desired sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley for garnish.