Saturday, May 30, 2015

Weekly Recap

As you can see, I’ve changed things up a little bit.  This weekly post will no longer be a “weigh in & recap.”  Why?  Because I don’t want the scale to be the master of me anymore.  Sure, what the scale says IS important but it is not the be all end all of my efforts.  It does not measure everything within my progress toward my goals.  I do still have a goal weight…in fact, I’ve updated it and it is now 165 instead of 170.  A lot of thought and processing went into that updated number.  It will not be easier for me to get to 165 than it has been for my attempts to get to 170…hello, it’s an extra 5 pounds below my original goal weight.  Now, if I add more weight lifting into my weekly workouts, then the number will probably jump back up to 170, but since 90%+ of my workouts are strictly running, the way I look at 170 now will be drastically different from how I looked when I was 172 two years ago while doing all sorts of workout DVDs and gym workouts on top of running.  
While I’m not replacing the use of the scale and am by no means going to stop using it, I am going to shift to using an Omron body fat machine as my primary progress measuring tool.  I just ordered it off Amazon yesterday, so I will get it later next week sometime.  After I’ve received it and have read all the instructions on how to use it properly to get the best results, then I will start using it and posting my progress using it.  I will also, based on my initial use of it, determine a good goal body fat % for myself.
So, with that said, let me recap this week for ya!  We’re going to do the usual recap week of Saturday through Friday.
• Saturday: had a great run down the highway!  Yep, you read that right: down the highway!  The highway that runs between Salem, OR and a little town called Rickreall has an asphalt-paved hike/bike trail that runs along one side of it  Oregon is very outdoor activity friendly, if you didn’t know.  I parked in a grocery store parking lot and ran down the side of the highway.  I had taken a gel with me, but decided since I was only going to run 6 miles, that I didn’t need it and left it in the car.  However, when I got to mile 3 (my turn around point), I didn’t want to turn around and kept going.  I got to mile 4 and, while I still didn’t want to turn around, I didn’t bring the gel with me, so I had to turn around.  It was a great run and probably the first time that I actually went longer than I originally planned to run. 
• Sunday: I was flying from Oregon back to Texas…no exercise.
• Monday: I had planned to run 13.1 for Memorial Day, but about 30 minutes before I had decided I would leave to go run a huge thunderstorm that actually produced a few tornados and some extensive flooding happened…so no run.  And it didn’t dawn on me to go to the gym instead and lift some weights.
• Tuesday: I had planned to do the 13.1 from Monday this day, but just could not get myself pried out of bed.
• Wednesday: unable to pry myself out of bed again.
• Thursday: yep, you guessed it, glued to my sheets again.  I’ve been fighting off a need for a mental break from running for about 2 months now.  It’s been looming and I keep pushing it off to the side and hoping it will go away, but it hasn’t.  And I think, this week, with being sad that I’m no longer in my favorite place in the world: Oregon, with my family and childhood friends and then disappointed that I couldn’t do my Memorial Day run due to inclement weather that my camel’s back just broke and I was “powerless” to stop it and just slept way too much instead.
• Friday: lest you think this was becoming a hopeless story of how Sara decided she no longer wants to run, I would like to tell you that this was not that kind of day.  I woke up on time and was excited to get outside and run.  I started off great.  About 1.25 miles into the run, my Bluetooth headphones died.  Ugh.  I was not about to run almost 6 out of a planned 7 miles without music.  So I turned around and went back home to change to my earbuds and hook the headphones up to the charger and then headed back out on a modified route.  About 3.5 miles into the run, my failure to get out and running earlier in the morning hit me and the heat was fatiguing me.  But I managed to complete 6.5 miles and I NEVER regret a run no matter how much it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews