This week, I made yet another version of my fruit salad and some shredded rotisserie chicken tacos with homemade guacamole and corn/black bean salsa. I am still making and remaking that southwest chopped salad. It is quick, easy, healthy and 100% yum-tastic. Also, I have all the ingredients for the entire thing (salad AND dressing) memorized. I see myself eating that salad for a couple more weeks before I try to find something else for my lunches. And then I’ll probably try and find another salad to make. Maybe an Asian style salad? Or maybe I’ll make something I’ve made in the past again…not sure yet. Anyway, let’s talk about what I made this week!
SARA’S FRUIT SALAD VERSION 3
• 1 lb strawberries, cut into pieces
• 1 pint blueberries
• ½ cantaloupe, cut into pieces
• 1 can lite/no sugar added sliced peaches, drained & cut into pieces
• 1 can lite/no sugar added sliced pears, drained & cut into pieces
• 1 can Libby’s skinny pineapple tidbits, drained
• 3 plums, cut into pieces
• 5 oz cherries, pitted & cut into pieces
• 1 cup red grapes, cut in half
Add approx. 2 tbsp lemon juice, ½ to 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 packets of sweet’n’low. Mix until well coated with the cinnamon.
|mashing the avocados|
|add the spices, some lime juice and the minced onion and |
you've got guacamole!
SHREDDED CHICKEN TACOS W/GUAC & CORN/BLACK BEAN SALSA
• 12 oz shredded rotisserie chicken
Ingredients for the salsa:
• 8 Santa Fe Tortilla Company tortillas
• 1 diced orange bell pepper
• 1 cup reduced sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
• 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
• ½ cup diced roma tomato
• ¼ cup diced red onion
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
• salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for the guac:
• 4 medium-large ripe avocados
• 3 tbsp minced red onion
• 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp cumin
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• 2 tsp lime juice
• chop your veggies for the salsa and combine in a bowl with the oil, vinegar, and lime juice. Season with the salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
• in a separate bowl, mash the avocados to desired consistency and season with cilantro, garlic poweder, cumin and sea salt. Stir in your red onion and optional extras (diced tomato, diced jalapeños, etc).
• shred your ½ rotisserie chicken.
• warm your tortillas in the mircrowave or in a skillet and fill with the guac, salsa and chicken!
• this would also make a great taco bowl. If you want to go that route, simply bake your tortillas into bowl shapes and fill!
I need to make a note here. The ingredients for the guacamole provided actually makes 12 servings while the 12 oz of chicken is 4 servings and the full salsa recipe is only 8 servings. Each serving of guacamole is a rounded 1/3 of a cup and each salsa serving is 1/3 cup. I did the nutritional info based on each item individually.
I used HEB (grocery store chain in Texas) original seasoned rotisserie chicken.
And then I use Santa Fe Tortilla Company Whole Wheat Tortillas...always.