Saturday, April 2, 2016

Weekly Recap

Saturday: ran the ASH Dash Bunny Run 5k this day and not only did I PR with a time of 27:09 official (PR by 5 seconds), but I won 1st in my age group!!!  I got a lovely golden bunny trophy!  This is the 4th time I’ve placed top 3 in my age group.  I’ve received 2 medals, 1 gift certificate ($20 to a running store) and now a trophy.  This is my first ever trophy!  I love it!
Sunday: Wasn't planning on running today, but the itch was there so I had to scratch it. Knocked out 5.75 miles! What a wonderful evening for a run!
Monday: tried out the combat fitness test for work this morning.  I already completed the rower test with a score of 80% for the first part of the year so this was just to get a feel for this test and decide if I want to do it "for real" next year.  It consists of 3 rounds of 5 exercises with 1 minute per exercise and then a 1 minute rest between rounds for a total of 17 minutes.  The exercises are a medicine ball toss with box squat combo, then a kettlebell sumo squat to row combo, then a 22" step up, then the push press, and ending with the row.  To score the minimum passing score of 50% I’d have to do 10 reps (10 calories for the row) of each exercise.  I had a goal of 15 reps of each exercise and then just use the row as an active rest.  I got 15 of every exercise as hoped for, did 20 step ups the final round and 10 calories on the row ever round except final where I got 16. scored 221 points for a score of 73%.  Not bad for my first time ever attempting it! Ii didn't even practice!  I definitely could have pushed more and the tester believes that I could easily get 80% and if I push myself could definitely do 90%.  I will be doing this test "for real" next year!

After that, I headed to the gym and got 35 minutes done on the elliptical.

Tuesday: had a 7 mile run planned but I'm pretty sore from the combat fitness test...that's what I get for skipping strength training for 2 weeks.  So, just the elliptical today trying to loosen things up and break up the DOMS a little.

Wednesday: worked overtime last minute Tuesday night, so no workout or run on this day.

Thursday: had PLANNED on a 6 mile run so I could hit 95 miles for the month of March, but I procrastinated and took too long paying my bills and whatnot so I only had time for 4 miles.  So, 93 miles for the month of March!  Still a good number, so I’m not knocking it at all!  The run went great, moderately paced around 10:36 per mile average.  Honestly, I’m not sure I could have done 6 miles comfortably.  At the end of the 4, I was struggling a little bit.  Thanks a lot, humidity.  Yep, it’s that time in Texas…time to welcome our good old buddy, humidity back into town.  Ugh.  After my run I had one of the best massages I’ve ever had.  I didn’t want to go to work afterward, I was soooo relaxed!

Friday: that personal training session that I was originally supposed to do on Monday that got rescheduled to today happened.  Oh yea!  I’d been looking forward to it all week!  Carl, my trainer, did not disappoint.  He had me do some AMRAP stuff to start.  He stuck the 45# bar into the hinge holder thing and then loaded a 25# plate onto it.  I started with landmine thrusters for 40 seconds, rest 20 seconds, then sumo deadlifts for 40 seconds, rest 20 seconds, then more landmine thrusters, then single arm shoulder presses, then double arm shoulder presses, then 2 minute rest and repeat the whole thing.  Then we went to the 3-way grip seated row machine.  He put it on 55# and had me do 10 reps at each hand position for 3 sets.  Next we went to the dumbbells and he grabbed 12.5# (haha, don’t judge…my arms were tired at this point) and had me do a bent over row to bicep curl ladder.  First set I made it to 7 reps and the 2nd and 3rd sets I made it to 6 reps.  Last exercise was the tricep rope pulldown with dropsets at 40#, 30#, then 20# for 10 reps each weight, rest 30-40 seconds, then repeat for 3 sets.  And done!  I love this workout.  Aaaaaaand, now I’m seriously considering purchasing a training package…after my Oregon trip is done, of course.


As far as eating goes, this week was pretty much the same as last week.  I continued with the TV dinners.  They’re great for portion control and for adding variety.  But, they’re loaded with sodium and all sorts of carbs.  Let me tell you about those carbs.  Now that I’m eating processed carbs, I am craving them like there’s no tomorrow.  I don’t like it.  So, not sure what I’m going to do when I hit up the grocery store tomorrow after my race.  Am I going to do the TV dinners again or am I going to get a skirt steak to season and stick in the crockpot?  Maybe some broccoli that I can roast?  And roasted sweet potato wedges?  Mmmm.  So, yea, decisions.

The steroid injection I got last fall in my left elbow for my tendonitis wore off on Sunday.  Ugh.  So, now my elbow hurts…a lot.  I have an appointment with an ortho on the 11th, so we’ll see what he says.  Maybe he’ll take pity on me and give me another injection.

I’m just not even going to stress over the scale for a little bit.  I’ll do my best to maintain a sub-180 on it between now and when I return from my trip to Oregon.  I will weigh in the morning after I return to Texas and start fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews