• Saturday: I had the Free-day Run for the Arts in the evening on this day. The race started a smidge after 7pm and it was still extremely close to 100° (the “feels like temp” WAS over 100°). Long story short, I ran just 10 seconds shy of getting a new 5K PR…woohoo! (stay tuned for the full race recap…I’m going to try and post it in the next 2 weeks)
Then, because a 5K just wasn’t enough for me, and I wanted to hit my new and improved 15K step goal for the day, so on my drive back home from San Antonio, I stopped at the Buc-ee’s in New Braunfels and ran back and forth on the side of the parking lot away from traffic for 2 miles!
• Sunday: I was a busy, busy little bee at the gym this day. I did practically a little bit of everything. 3 miles on the tready, 11 minutes on the stairclimber for 45 floors, some strength training, an 800m swim, and then finished it off with walking around the parking lot until I hit 15K steps. I love my new, higher step goal. Some days it’s a little difficult to get all those steps in, but I try and I have hit 15K or higher 19 days out of the last 22 (at this point) days. That’s pretty awesome. In fact, that’s why I decided to up it because I was routinely getting 15K or higher the majority of the days.
• Monday: LONG RUN DAY! I did procrastinate, but I had good reason. I woke up to horrific news. With all the police shootings happening, I have been affected, but now it’s gone and gotten personal. Someone I know, someone that was a mentor and a teacher to me, happened upon burglars in his backyard breaking into his shed. He gave chase and was overtaken. Soooo, I ran this day’s long run in loving memory of Sgt Craig Hutchinson. I dressed in blue. And I did something that took personal courage: went without a shirt and was only in my sports bra. Guess what? No one cared! My anxiety over it was ridiculous. It was a smidge warm (mid 90°s) and at parts I wanted to quit and cut it short, but because I was running for Craig, I didn’t. I pushed through it and did the things that were hard when I just wanted to stop. There were tears shed during this run as I thought of Craig. “Blessed are the peacemakers.”
• Tuesday: another day of a little bit of everything at the gym. I ran 2 miles on the tready, then 50 floors in 11 minutes on the stairclimber, then 25 minutes on the elliptical and ended with about 30 minutes of core work. And then, later in the evening, I walked for 45 minutes to make sure I hit my 15K steps for the day!
• Wednesday: just a 5.88 mile jaunt on the tready after the evening gym rush hour. A decent run.
• Thursday: no structured workout, just a day at the water park, so lots of walking and random swimming.
• Friday: did 4 miles at *almost* marathon goal pace on the treadmill, so 10:00 pace overall. MGP is 9:55 or faster. Then I did bicep curls, shoulder press, low flyes, leg curls & extensions, and slow/fast calf raises.
There was quite a lot of UP on the scale this week. I gained like 10 pounds between last Friday and yesterday. However, I can tell you, my body looked no different from one Friday to the next. Why? Well, a little thing we girls like to call TTOTM or TOM (depending on how you prefer to abbreviate it). I’m sure you can figure that out. Anyway, it’s something that makes us girls retain water and sometimes be bloated. I wasn’t bloated, so I must have just been retaining water. If things are all normal and well, then that 10 pounds should go away again and I should be back WELL BELOW my goal weight by next Saturday (seeing as how I lost 5.2 pounds since yesterday and am now officially back below my goal weight…YAY!). Also, in full disclosure, I did not eat 100% “on diet” this week (hello, vacation), but I know I did NOT eat bad enough to gain 10 pounds. So, therefore, I’m not worried about it because it’s not “real” weight gain. I have a few meals out with friends next week, but I’m going to TRY and want to pick the better choices from the menus (but we all know I can’t resist the fish and chips at Sherlock’s…but instead of a full order, I can just get the half order and instead of fries, maybe I can get them to bring me a salad…see? Better choices CAN be made while still indulging).