• Saturday: I was going to do a 3 mile outside run in the morning, but it’s Saturday and just didn’t feel like it. So, instead, I decided to run 3 miles on the treadmill at the gym. Then I did my strength training. I decided to do core, so I used that ab slider/tuck piece of equipment, then I moved over to the back extension with a 25# plate held to my chest, then I did butterfly crunches and 60/45/30 second planks with knee touches. I had a lot more planned for this session, but because this was my only day off this weekend and everything I did seemed to take way longer than I thought it would, I didn’t have much time, plus I went to the gym at 9pm. Eeesh. But, at least I got it done and didn’t make any excuses.
• Sunday: working overtime at work during my regular shift hours (but this is one of my normal days off), so somewhat limited time to get in my long run, plus finish up my weekend chores and such. So, just a 7 mile run for this day at an easy pace.
• Monday: hit the gym. I did the ‘mill hills, then 35 on the elliptical, then onto strength training. I opted for incline bench, lat pull downs, kettlebell swings, and calf raises.
• Tuesday: speedwork day! Did the easy run to the track, did 12 laps with ten 100m and two 50m sprints, then the easy run back home. 6 miles logged today.
• Wednesday: working overtime on the night shift this day *AND* I wanted to get one more run for June! I did 5 easy miles to bump myself over 90 miles (just barely!) for the month! Woohoo! My A goal was met! This day’s run was somewhat of a slog even though I mostly felt good for the whole run. I went late, so the temp was already climbing, so that slowed me down. But I don’t care because in the summer I run by effort more than pace. No PR’s are made for me during the heat of summer. I save PR attempts for the cooler months.
• Thursday: there wasn’t going to be a workout this day, buuuuuuut I opted to leave my overtime shift early, so I had time to go to the gym and do the ‘mill hills!
• Friday: went to the gym and did the ‘mill hills and 35 on the elliptical. Then it was on to strength training. I did the seated row, cable flyes, tricep pulldown drop sets (40#-30#-20#), reverse cable squats, and regular squats on the smith machine, and froggy leg presses (heels together, toes pointed out).
After work, I changed into running clothes and ran around the outskirts of the downtown Austin area. It was really humid, but once I got running, it wasn’t too bad. I did a total of 4 miles…so, that’s 4 down and 86 to go for July! Ha! But, really proud of myself that I stuck with my plan and did 2 workouts in one day. I do want to start doing the occasional double workout days. These kinds of days will come in quite handy on the days I’m not able to workout due to working overtime at work.
Eating was ON POINT this week yet again. I mean, on Saturday, I went out to Macaroni Grill with my Texas bestie and I had the Bibb & Bleu salad (highly recommend this) and the Farmhouse Flatbread Pizza (also highly recommend…but be aware of portion sizes…I broke this pizza down into 4 servings and ate on it at 4 different occasions over this week). And then on Thursday we sort of had a going away spread for a coworker. I took a coconut cream and a pecan pie (I took a ½ serving of each for myself…was the perfect amount). One of the supervisors brought a Costco cake (I had a large piece, but not toooooo large). Then, another guy brought some pasta salad. I didn’t have any. I ended up at Taco Cabana because I had a buy one 3-pack of the street tacos, get a second 3-pack for $1. Oh wow. One 3-pack would have been enough. I gave away one of the tacos and was STUFFED for hours. I was seriously afraid because of that stuffed-ness (even though I was still well within my calories for the day) that I would show a gain Friday morning on the scale, but NOPE! Oh and Friday evening, I ate a couple molasses cookies (which were surprisingly way lower in calories than I thought they’d be).
Had a couple non-scale victories this week. First, I had ordered some workout tanks a few weeks ago and they arrived. Then I discovered that I had accidentally ordered them in women’s small. I usually order large. But they FIT! Then, I went shopping for a new bikini. Usually, I wear a large top and XL bottoms. Not anymore!!! Medium top and large bottoms!!! Woohoo!!!!
Overall, I’m super happy with this week. I started it off thinking I was hitting a plateau and spent the first few days thinking of how I could bust through it. The latter part of the week, I realized I’m not quite at a plateau yet, which makes me happy. I’m still going to keep up with switching things up with my food. Also, it’s July, so that means it is time to add a 3rd upper AND lower body exercise to my gym trips! I’ve decided when August hits, not only will I be adding a 4th upper and lower body exercise to my routines, but I will also start super-setting and power lifting. I should be at my goal weight by then, so then my goal will switch to focusing on dropping body fat specifically and less on what the scale says. The best way to do that is to build muscle. When I super-set and power lift, I put muscle on crazy fast. Plus, I really enjoy that way of strength training.
Okay!!! Let’s check out this week’s weigh ins!
I also decided I need to take my measurements. I didn’t take my measurements at the beginning of May when I started this most recent weight loss effort, oops. A slight oversight on my part.
This week, like I said, I started off thinking I had hit the dreaded plateau. However, I lost another incredible 2.9 pounds this week! 2.9 pounds! What the what?!?!?! I am now just 1.4 pounds away from my goal weight. I’m hoping I hit that mark next week, but as long as I hit it by the end of the month, I’ll be happy. After I hit that goal weight, I’ll switch to focusing on building muscle and dropping body fat more than what my weight is…because, well, I’ll probably gain some weight as I build muscle, even though my measurements will start to drop.