This was the first full week of actual tapering after last Sunday’s 22 mile long run that I stupidly did at basically MGP. I mean, at least I know for a FACT that I can do it, but still, not the smartest thing I’ve done. Not that I’m actually known for doing smart things while marathon training. But I’m getting better about it, I swear! So, my mileage this past week was cut a good amount since I’m now in taper mode. Needless to say, I LOOOOOVE running and I love running lots of miles. But, I like to dial it back before I get burnt out like I did last year. Not that I got burnt out because I was running lots of miles. I got burn out, I think, because it wasn’t challenging and it was super hot and yea…running wasn’t fun last summer at all. Anyway, I was starting to feel the inklings of the possibility of being burnt out, so the taper came at the exact right moment!
• Tuesday: nothing, worked overtime Monday night.
• Wednesday: 4 mile shakeout run. I needed a nice easy run after Sunday’s ridiculousness of a long run. Ha! It felt great, but my calves are being twingey and the part of my ankle that I sprained so badly last year (the strap that goes across the front of the ankle, not sure if it’s a ligament or tendon, but leaning toward it’s a ligament) started hurting and aching. So I’m stretching it out. It’s probably just the taper. I’ve never had it before where I got aches and pains due to the drop in and relaxing of the weekly mileage before, but that’s the only thing that makes sense.
• Thursday: nothing, worked overtime Wednesday night.
• Friday: nothing, worked overtime again Thursday night.
• Saturday: this was supposed to be a double header of races. However I got my very first DNS (did not start) because I’m occasionally dumb and I mixed up the race start time with the packet pickup start time. I thought that packet pickup started at 4pm…nope the race started at 4pm. I discovered my error at 5pm when I was getting ready to head to the race. Wah wah. So, just one race this day, but a great race it was (I know, I know, I owe you guys so many race recaps right now. I’ve written them all, I just need to post them…but, stay tuned for the race report in this instance again if you want more deets). The Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon. It was a fantastic run in full costume, including facepaint!
• Sunday: nothing, went to the renaissance festival.
• Monday: nothing, played hookie from running…slept in instead.
So, this was a fairly uneventful week of running for me. Good kick off to my taper! As the week went on, the twinges in my calves and the aches in my ankle where I sprained it subsided, so my assumption that they were taper related was most likely justified and correct.
Total miles for week #16: 16.85