It’s that time again! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! What did you do to celebrate and ring in the new year? I ran. Duh, like you didn’t see THAT coming! Hahahaha! But seriously, usually NYE and NYD fall on my work days and I don’t have the option of celebrating other than with my coworkers with a nice food spread and, of course, no champagne. And also, usually no one wants to watch the ball drop on the TVs…bunch of party poopers, in my opinion. So, THIS year, since both days fell on my days off, I lived it up as much as a runner can!
On New Year’s Eve, I met up with Austin’s Rogue Running for their annual Black Eyed Pea Run. I opted for the 7am meet up for 14 miles or less. My friend Rob also ran this. I ended up running 11.8 miles. It was fantastic (if you take out the part where I was complete exhausted and spent from non-stop hills…haha) and I’ve wanted to do this run for the last 2 years since I first found out about it. But, like I said, I’m usually working so I haven’t been able to.
New Year’s Day, I made the drive down to San Antonio for the Cobweb Chaser 5K to ring in 2017! This was my first time running this race (stay tuned for a recap for more details!). I registered for it basically last minute…about 3 weeks before the race. Since I started running over 4 years ago, I’ve wanted to do an organized New Year’s Day run, however it seems Austin doesn’t have one. And if they do, I haven’t found it. So, if you live in the Austin area and know of an organized New Year’s Day run, please, please, please let me know! I’d love to find a half marathon to do, but a 5K or 10K is also just fine with me. I just love to run and want to celebrate all the things with running!
Okay, now that I’ve talked about how I rang in the New Year, let me go over what my GOALS for 2017 are! I prefer the term “goal” over “resolution.” Goal sounds more hopeful and promising. Resolution sounds like there’s no room for flexibility and like if I don’t meet my expectations for myself then I am a failure. Resolutions intimidate me, goals welcome me. It’s just perception, but it’s how I see it. So, here we go!
• run at least 1300 miles
• PR everything!!!
• make a valiant attempt to qualify for the Boston Marathon (OMG!!!)
• re-establish the habit of strength training on some sort of regular basis
• lose weight and reach my ultimate goal of 145-ish and/or 23% body fat and then maintain it
• get a good handle on and be more consistent with my eating
• save money
• pay off debts
• create a YouTube channel and post vlogs to it on a regular basis
• post regularly on my blog
• post my race recaps in a timely manner (within 1-2 weeks of the race being recapped)
• send a letter to my non-computerized paternal grandma (she doesn’t have or know how to use a computer) every month
• continue to email my maternal grandma on a highly regular basis
• continue to journal daily
• set aside at least 1 hour to read a book and/or magazine (Runner’s World, of course) every week…I know it doesn’t sound like a lot, but it’s WAY more than I’m doing now…and it’s a good START!
• make it a priority to spend time with my friends every month
• keep a clean, tidy and organized home
• eat out less
• be frugal
• start a project life styled scrapbook and work on it regularly (ie-don’t get more than a month behind)
• MOVE…buy or rent a house
Now it’s your turn! You can post a list of everything you’d love to do in 2017 or, at least, post the #1 thing you’d love, love, love to accomplish or do or experience in 2017! AND GO!