Wednesday, April 26, 2017

A Rant, Jewelry + Goals

I normally don’t like talking about work on here for various reasons and will only make vague references to it here and there.  However, this week will be a little different.  I have weekends off at work thanks to seniority (hooray working somewhere for over 14 years!  meh).  My supervisor was quite a bit late putting out our next 4 week schedule that commences Sunday the 23rd.  I had signed up for a 5 day training class at the beginning of the year that was scheduled to take place starting on the 24th.  Well, they put out the schedule and what do you know but my training class was CANCELED.  They cited staffing shortage, however all these other people get to go to their training and they pull lots of people to work overtime, but not me.  Nope.  But, it’s whatever and suppose the nature of the beast that is government employment.  Also, I suppose I’ve had it quite well in the department of not having my days off screwed with.  This is the first time I’ve had this happen in, well, I don’t even know how long at this point.  A long ass time, that’s for sure.  I was really mad at first, but I’m over it now.  It is what it is.  I’ll sign up for that training class again next year since there is no other offering for it during this calendar year.  Ugh.  They also switched my days off for 2 of the weeks.  One week, instead of having my standard Sunday/Saturday I have Monday/Saturday.  That’s fine.  I was going to hang out with a friend that Sunday but she understands.  I’m just glad they didn’t mess with my days off the weekend that I’m running an evening race on Saturday down in San Antonio and then a 10K in Austin that Sunday morning.  I would have definitely been upset about that!  I want that medal and shirt for that San Antonio race!  Plus the opportunity to dress up?!?!!  Heck yea!

Okay, enough of that grumbling BS that I need to move on away from.  JEWELRY!  I’m not someone who’s super big on jewelry.  I’m the kind of person that just puts it on and forgets about it.  Since I wear a uniform to work, I don’t wear something different every day that I need to be all matchy-matchy with my jewelry, so I’ll literally wear the same pieces for weeks or even months at a time.  Not kidding.  For the longest time now I’ve only been wearing one ring…a snake ring I bought from Helzberg a while back.  My birth year is the Chinese zodiac year of the snake, so that’s why that.  I get lots of compliments on it as it is a pretty unique piece. 
As of this week I’m now up to 2 rings!  Woo!  You know how there’s those things on Facebook that pop up in your feed where it’s free, just pay for shipping?  There was a ring that was tentacles, stainless steel, shipping was just $7, so that was the total cost of the ring.  I love cephalopods so of course I bought one!  Well it arrived this week and I love it.  It’s perfect. 
On top of that, earlier this year I had started wearing a necklace (also stainless steel…so I can leave it on at all times, including in the shower, etc and it won’t tarnish or discolor or otherwise irritate my skin).  It’s a St Michael’s medallion.  I added a little “26.2” pendant to it.  Well, within the last week I added 2 more pendants.  A stainless steel anchor (so cute!) and a gold plated (not sure how long the gold plating is going to last, but that’s ok) stainless steel arrow.  Anchors and arrows are my favorite symbols, so it just made sense for me to get representations of them to wear on my necklace.  I’m pretty happy with it.
Saturday was apparently a day of playing catch up with my sleep.  Yea, yea, yea, I know you can’t actually catch up on sleep, but I was so exhausted that I felt a little sick.  I slept until 11:30, got up, had a massive headache so I took some ibuprofen and headed out to pick up my packet for the Cap10K.  I felt so bad that I contemplated parking at the event center itself and just paying the $8 for parking.  I eventually decided to park at my work’s parking garage and make the walk, thinking the fresh air would help me feel better.  Nope.  I just walked a bunch and got accosted by transients.  Ugh.  Got to the expo and picked up my packet super easy, only bought one thing: a 40th anniversary of the race hat.  I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I love hats and I love owning hats from the races I run.  I’m way more likely to wear those than the participant shirts.
Then, I went back home and went BACK to sleep for like another 3 hours.  Geez.  Got up and worked on my Project Life, then I went to bed super early…9:30-ish.  Oh, yea, because I didn’t feel good, I texted my friends and let them know that I was skipping the renaissance festival.  I had hoped to still hang out with them at my friend David’s place after they were finished at the fair, but he didn’t text me back about what time to get there until almost 9 so I skipped that as well, sadly.

As a result of all the sleep I got on Saturday, I woke up around 2:30am.  Whoa!  Way, way too early.  So I forced myself into a doze until the alarm went off at 5, got up and got ready for the Cap10K.  I parked shortly after 6 for a race that didn’t start until 8.  Haha.  What can I say?  I’ll do what needs to be done to score free parking.  Met up with my Team TCSO teammates shortly after 7 and socialized until it was time to head to our corrals.  This was my first time using a throw away top to keep warm and let me tell you, I felt weird tossing something I’d just paid $7 for the night before, especially since it was a pretty nice and comfy GAP brand thermal shirt.  Oh well.  The race went well and while I didn’t run my fastest 10K, I did get a course PR by 13 seconds (hopefully I’ll get a race recap up at some point…haha), so that’s pretty good and I’m pretty happy with that!
I got home from the race and showered and then headed out to Sherwood Forest Fair and spent the afternoon with my friends David, Bri, Mark, and Eden.  It was a fantastic time and I’m so glad I went!  I really do love the renaissance festivals!  David bought me a pretty rose too!  It matched my costume.

After the festival, I met up with Hannah and Will for karaoke.  It was dead at the bar so I got to sing so many songs that I ran out of songs.  HAHA!  I also got Will to sing my absolute favorite song in the world for me!  America’s “Horse With No Name.”  I videoed it too!  I was going to attach the video, but I can't figure out how to get it off my phone and onto my computer...wah wah!!!  Sorry.  I really did want to share it.

Since I had originally been scheduled to be in training for work all week this week, I didn’t have any overtime scheduled to work.  Part of me wanted it to stay that way.  A week without OT?  Yes please.  My paycheck wouldn’t like it, but I need the break.  I did pick up 1 shift of OT but that was it.  As a result of having next to no OT all week, I attended lots of classes at the gym!  Gold’s Fit on Monday, Gold’s Burn on Tuesday, Gold’s Cycle on Wednesday (today)! 

OH!  After the Gold’s Fit class on Monday, trainer Lindsey administered a Styku scan for me.  It’s this interesting piece of technology that gives super accurate measurements of your entire body, you input your weight and it will also estimate your body fat %.  Then we went over my goals and she said I should be eating 1 gram of protein for every pound of my goal weight.  That would be 150 grams then.  On average, I was getting about 90-100 grams a day.  This is probably why I’ve been bingeing a lot lately and not “able” to resist junk food when it’s offered.  Sooooo, I am now back to eating a half of a rotisserie chicken a day and boom, I’m totally hitting my daily protein goal!  I’ve also dropped a few pounds since Monday (most likely just water weight and inflammation from eating junk) since I’ve been off the junk since then.  I’m planning to do my best to make intelligent food decisions between now and the start of my Oregon trip.  And then I still hope to make intelligent decisions but there’s only so much I have the choice of while on the road.  But I will do my best while making the drive up and back there. 
Did my first Gold’s Cycle class this morning and oh yea!  Not much of a calorie burn (only about 252 for the hour) but still a great workout and not something I normally do currently, so therefore it’s totally worth it!  Also, totally felt like I was in an Ariana Grande music video!

Since I’m working OT tonight, I must pace myself with my eating so I’m not bingeing on junk food at 3am when I hit the wall.  If “necessary” I will allow myself to get some street tacos from Taco Cabana as they’re not TOO bad and are a good source of protein and usually fill me up quite well.  But hopefully that won’t be “necessary.”  Hopefully what I take food-wise with me will be enough.

I figured out how to view my macros on MyFitnessPal, so I’ll be monitoring that daily and posting it on my Instagram and Facebook page for this blog.  So if you’re at all interested in that, you can check that out by clicking on the links in the left hand column of the blog.


  1. My husband wears his St. Michael medallion every day. Love the sports bra for the race -- where did you get it?


Total Pageviews